MAIN STREET VEGAN® ACADEMY
Take your vegan outreach to the next level by training to be a Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach & Educator (VLCE)
Dine gently. Live wisely. Make a difference.
What is a vegan lifestyle coach/educator?
A Vegan Lifestyle Coach & Educator is someone who is certified to coach, counsel and educate individuals and groups in adopting a vegan lifestyle. You’ll be able to help your clients and audiences plan and prepare meals; eat healthfully, even on a budget; deal with some of the social and emotional issues around making this change; gain familiarity with the various plant-based dietary philosophies; raise a vegan family; shop compassionately, and more. At the same time, you’ll be learning how to set up a Vegan Lifestyle Coaching practice, market yourself, speak for groups and to the media, and make the most of the Internet.
What will we do during the course?
This is an intense intensive, running from Tuesday evening to Sunday midday (the November 2013 will go from Friday evening to Wednesday midday). We start with an dinner at my home the first evening of the course, then go all day for four days and half-a-day on the final day so people who need to catch planes, trains, etc., can do that. There will be breaks for meals and personal time, of course. We’ll do a fun and educational field trips to veg-friendly markets, an eco-store, an Indian spice market, raw-food emporiums, a vegan bakery, and a leather-free shoe store; and optional dinners several evenings at notable NYC vegan restaurants. We’ll also plan for you to meet many of the movers and shakers in the NYC vegan community in addition to your instructors. One night will remain unscheduled if you’d like to do your own dining somewhere delightful, catch a show, or just rest.
Material covered includes:
• History and philosophy of veganism
• Basics of plant-based nutrition
• Plant-based nutrition for pregnant women, children, athletes, elders
• Basics of the vegan kitchen
• Vegan meal planning and food preparation
• Understanding emotional eating and food addiction
• Sprouting and elements of raw cuisine
• Ayurvedic principles
• Juicing and detox programs
• Vegan fashion and beauty
• Fundamentals of animal rights
• Ecology 101
• The social vegan: making friends dating, entertaining
• Veganism and religion/spirituality
• Coaching techniques
• Public speaking
• Media training
• Customizing your practice, and marketing for success
We’re building a strong advisory board of renowned men and women from all sectors of the vegan movement. As of today, out advisory board stands as:
- Carol J. Adams, author of The Sexual Politics of Meat and Living Among Meateaters
- Ryan Andrews, MS/MA, RD, CSCS, author of Drop the Fat and Live Lean
- Jonathan Balcombe, Ph.D, animal behaviorist and author Second Nature and The Exultant Ark
- Gene Baur, co-founder, Farm Sanctuary and author, Farm Sanctuary: Changing Minds About Animals & Food
- Freya Dinshah, president and co-founder, The American Vegan Society, author of The Vegan Kitchen
- Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart, founder and designer, Vaute Couture, vegan outerwear
- John Pierre, fitness trainer to Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi
- John Robbins, author of Diet for a New America and Healthy at 100, founder of EarthSave
- Brian Wendel, creator and executive producer, Forks Over Knives
Core Faculty: You’ll be learning from skilled vegan educators in addition to myself. Core faculty members teach at most Academy sessions except when their schedule takes them away.
- Rynn Berry, creator of The Vegan Guide to New York City, author of Famous Vegetarians and Their Favorite Recipes, retired history professor and noted historian of the vegetarian, vegan, and raw food movements
- Fran Costigan, noted vegan baker and author of More Great Good Dairy-Free Desserts Naturally; www.FranCostigan.com
- Marty Davey, MS, RD, LDN, “La Diva Dietitian!” (and a trained actor so her nutrition class will be fun as well as instructive)
- Michael Parrish DuDell, founder Race+Vine, media/business speaker/consultant, instrumental in founding EcoRazzi.com
- Jennifer Gannet, VLC, VegBooks.org, resource for parents & educators to support the veg kids in their lives
- Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart, founder and designer of Vaute, vegan winter coats and designer fashions
- Joshua Katcher, founder of TheDiserningBrute.com and designer for BraveGentleMan; Professor of Sustainable Fashion at Laboratory Institute of Merchandising
- Victoria Moran, HHC, AADP, VLC, author of Main Street Vegan, The Love-Powered Diet, and Creating a Charmed Life and founder/director of Main St. Vegan Academy
- Sharon Nazarian, VLC, Manhattan-based vegan blogger and co-founder of BigCityVegan.com, on social networking
- Jasmin Singer, activist, writer, performer, and Dr. Oz-featured co-founder of Our Hen House, a media-media hive to make a difference for animals
- Mariann Sullivan, JD, co-founder of Our Hen House, professor of animal law at NYU, Columbia, and Cordozo law schools
Adjunct faculty: Adjunct faculty members, some of whom are not based in NYC, teach on a rotating and as-available basis.
- Nava Atlas, renowned vegetarian/vegan cookbook author of books including Vegan Holiday Kitchen and Wild About Greens
- DrMaryMD (Mary Clifton, MD), Minnesota-based internist and diabetes specialist
- Ashley Frunzi, New York City health consultant and personal chef
- Eddie Garza, director of New York City office of Mercy for Animals
- Nora Kramer, Dallas-based founder and director of YEA Camp and campaign coordinator for Mercy for Animals, teaching techniques of effective communication
- Adair Moran, lifelong vegan, blogger, and my able assistant on Main Street Vegan, on growing up vegan and urban gardening
- Robert Ostfeld, M.D., MSc., FACC, director, Cardiac Wellness Program, associate professor of clinical medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY
- Tatiana Forero Puerta, HHC, AADP, Austin-based founder of Om Wellness, on coaching techniques
- Karen Ranzi, raw food expert and author of Creating Healthy Children
- Latham Thomas, HHC, AADP, author of Mama Glow, and expert on pregnancy, birth, and raising healthy babies
Where does the course take place?
Main Street Vegan Academy is live and in person in New York City. This is not just a course; its an experience you’ll remember all your life. In NYC you’ll be introduced to, and taught by, some of the most influential people in the modern vegan movement, and you’ll learn alongside fellow MSVA students who will likely become your lifelong friends and business contacts. By coming here you’ll see the future of veganism: a city teeming with vegan restaurants, shops, events and more. Our field trips to restaurants, boutiques, and other vegan businesses make the MSVA program a truly hands-on experience — and a great urban study/vacation, whether you live in the Northeast or come from afar.
How much is tuition?
The program investment is $1495 per student. You may pay by MasterCard, Visa, American Express (call our private box, 212-289-1808, with card number, expiration date, and secuirty code); PayPal (remit to firstname.lastname@example.org), or check payable to Main Street Vegan, and sent by mail to Main Street Vegan Academy, ATTN. Victoria Moran, 40 W. 116th St., #A-504, New York, NY 10026.
Once you have been accepted into the Academy, you may pay your full tuition and receive a $75 discount ($1420 instead of $1495). Otherwise, you can remit a $495 deposit to hold your space. (This deposit is nonrefundable. If a true emergency [personal illness, death in the family, natural disaster, etc.] should keep you from attending the program, the deposit is transferable to a later course.) The remaining $1000 is due 30 days prior to the start of the course for which you’ve applied: June course, full payment due May 18; August course, full payment due May 20; November course, full payment due October 1.
Please apply only if you are serious about wanting to attend the Academy. We are a boutique program with a small staff, and dealing with applications that people fill out on a whim with no real intention of attending takes time away from the work we need to be doing. Thank you for respecting this.
What does my tuition include?
- All classes: over 50 hours of small group instruction and experiential learning with Victoria Moran and other expert faculty members and guest lecturers listed above
- Field trips to NYC vegan businesses and attractions
- Personal access to faculty and guest presenters
- A welcome dinner, two or three lunches (depending on field trip schedule), breakfasts four or five mornings; plus teas and snacks throughout the week
- Main Street Vegan Lifestyle Coach & Educator (VLC) certification
- After the program: master teleclasses offered free of charge to graduates, as well as discounts on all Main Street Vegan teleclasses, webinars, and other events
- Access to the private Main Street Vegan alumni forum on Facebook and a support network of Vegan Lifestyle Coaches & Educators from across North America and around the world
- 5 days with Victoria Moran, celebrated author, speaker, educator, radio host, holistic health counselor, vegan lifestyle coach, and Vegan of the Year 2012. This is a boutique experience in a small-group setting. Victoria will be teaching daily and available throughout the program to answer your questions personally.
You are responsible for your own travel costs and trip insurance, accommodations, and meals out, as well as transportation in NYC (to and from class, field trips, personal excursions; the most economical way to get around is to purchase a 7-day MetroCard in any subway station, good on all subways and buses) and any shopping you wish to do on field trips. (You are not expected to purchase anything, although many students do like to take advantage of the field trips and “stock up” on vegan shoes, belts, cosmetics, and specialty food items; several each term even buy their winter coat at Vaute Couture!). If you are on a budget, recommendations for lower-cost accommodations are available upon request. Meals at the restaurants where we’ll go as a group can run under $20 — only one meal out, a lunch at Pure Food & Wine, offered to our group at a 25% discount, is part of the program; dinners out are offered but optional. The meals you’ll enjoy on-site — all vegan, organic, low-oil, low-sugar, and gluten-free — are available at no charge: you’ll be Victoria’s guest.
Please note: This course is designed to help you guide others in transitioning to a vegan lifestyle. While you will receive basic nutrition information, you will not be a nutritionist. Being a certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach & Educator does NOT qualify you to provide medical advice or treat any illness. Any person looking to undergo a major change in diet should consult a physician. This is also not a culinary course: although there are classes on food and food prep, your expertise upon completion of this course will be to teach, guide, and counsel individuals and groups in the vegan lifestyle.
Upcoming course dates:
- June 18-23, 2013 (starts with dinner June 18; ends midday on the 23rd) - Full
- August 20-25, 2013 (starts with dinner Aug. 20; ends midday on the 25th)
- November 1-6, 2013 (starts with dinner Nov. 1; ends midday on the 6th)
- May 23-28, 2014 (over Memorial Day weekend — starts with dinner May 23, ends midday on the 28th)
- August 5-10, 2014 (starts with dinner August 5, ends midday on the 10th)
- November 4-9, 2014 (starts with dinner November 4, ends midday on the 9th)
For consideration for Main Street Vegan Academy please fill out an application and let us know which course you’ll applying for. Print the form; fill it out; scan and email to email@example.com. Alternatively, mail the completed application to Victoria Moran, Main Street Vegan Academy, 40 W. 116 St., Ste. A-504, New York, NY 10026. Please apply only if you are serious about attending the program. We will get back to you within 14 days to let you know of your acceptance. A $495 deposit to hold your space must be received within 21 days of your acceptance or we cannot guarantee your place in class.
What Graduates Have to Say About Main Street Vegan Academy
* * *
Check out blog post from Sayward Rebhal, VLC, “Main Street Vegan Academy Will Change Your Life,” on the OurHenHouse.org site
* * *
“No words can describe the positive and life changing experience I had at MSVA! Thank you again for helping me on the path that I feel so passionate about!” – Stacy Morris, VLC, Long Island, NY“Victoria Moran creates a life-changing and revelatory experience for her students at Main Street Vegan Academy. The wealth of knowledge, passion, kindness and insight that Moran and her team of guest instructors bring to the course is nothing short of genius. My only complaint: having to leave when it was over. - Colette Rice, VLC, Sacramento, CA
“I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am for being a part of such an amazing course. I have learnt and grown so much in such a short period of time and I will be role modeling and transferring my knowledge to as many people as I possibly can during my travels and throughout the rest of my life.” – Louella Monaghan, VLC, Perth, Western Australia
“I could not have imagined a better experience. Learning from Victoria Moran, hanging out with vegans aspiring to be of assistance to others, being back in the greatest city in the world, was exactly as fulfilling as I’d hoped it would be. At the risk of sounding trite, my biggest disappointment was that my class of the Main Street Vegan Academy had to come to an end.” – The Rev. Russell K. Elleven, EdD, DMin, LPC, NCC, CFLE, VLC, Fort Worth, TX
“I have picked up 3 clients for Vegan Lifestyle Coaching since graduating from MSVA last month & I absolutely love every second of it! I wanted to thank you for equipping me with so many great tools & resources for this endeavor. Hearing the past graduates’ stories & learning how they set up their business was extremely helpful as well.” — Cortney Ostrosky, VLC, Charleston, SC
“I can’t fully express my gratitude to Victoria Moran for Main Street Vegan Academy! The class was an incredible experience. Not only did Victoria impart her knowledge to us, but she put together the most amazing line up of guest speakers. Spending time with so many like-minded people was extremely inspiring and this course was exactly what I needed to jump-start my vegan counseling business.” Dianne Wenz, CHHC, AADP, VLC, West Orange, NJ
“I feel privileged to have been a part of such amazing love-filled group and a truly extraordinary vegan coaching program. Priceless!” Nadia No, MFT, VLC, San Francisco, CA
“Wow! Victoria knows all the right stuff and the right people. Even the most knowledgeable vegan business person has something to gain from this course.” — Tiffany Hahner, RN, VLC, Kansas City, MO
“Enrolling in MSVA was my logical next step as a vegan blogger (jlgoesvegan.com), writer and activist. My intention was not to become a vegan lifestyle coach but rather to be a better advocate and educator on how to live a compassionate life. I found the course enlightening and empowering and, it turns out, I now feel emboldened to begin a vegan lifestyle coaching practice.” – JL Fields , VLC, Colorado Springs, CO
“Blend professionalism with the generosity of a seasoned and delightful hostess. The result? Victoria Moran’s Main Street Vegan Academy. This terrific 5-day course in NYC includes draws on veg-savvy experts who help, guide, and encourage participants to find their own pace to make veganism work best for them, for their clients, and the world. This course is an original – and worth every bit of the time and money you spend.” — Carol Schneider, VLC, Boca Raton, FL
“As someone new to the Vegan lifestyle, I thought I’d be in over my head but no worries! This comprehensive course gave me the knowledge and skills I need to take this to the next level. I’ve never enjoyed learning so much or meeting such inspiring, amazing contacts and friends. I’m truly grateful for the experience.” – Lynne Agnew, VLC, Endicott, NY