MAIN STREET VEGAN ACADEMY
Dine gently. Live wisely. Make a difference.
Take your vegan outreach to the next level by training to be
an MSVA-Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach & Educator (VLCE)
What is a vegan lifestyle coach/educator?
A Main Street Vegan® Lifestyle Coach & Educator is a practicing vegan who is certified to coach, counsel and educate individuals and groups in adopting this helath-promoting and compassionate way of eating and being in the world. As a Main Street Vegan-certified VLCE, you’ll be qualified to help clients and audiences go vegan, stay vegan, feel terrific, and be part of the wonderful ripple effect that’s saving the lives of people and animals, and helping heal the planet. In addition, you’ll learn at the Academy how to set up a Vegan Lifestyle Coaching practice, market yourself, speak for groups and to the media, and make the most of the Internet.
What will we do during the course?
This is an intense intensive, usually running from Tuesday evening to Sunday midday. We start with dinner at my home the first evening of the course, then go all day for four days and until early afternoon on the final day. There will be breaks for meals and personal time, of course. A high point of the Main Street Vegan® experience is always the educational field trips to a raw vegan emporium, an eco-store, an Indian spice market, vegan bakery, leather-free shoe store, and to the Vaute Couture boutique where, when she’s in town, we get a fabulous presentation and Q & A from founder/designer Leanne Hilgart. We’ll have lunch out together on field trip at a class NYC vegan eatery, and an optional post-session graduation luncheon at another of NYC’s noteworthy vegan restaurants. If some special vegan or animal rights event is taking place in the city during your course, we try to arrange for our students to be part of this, as well. Courses include:
• History and philosophy of veganism
• Basics of plant-based nutrition
• Plant-based nutrition for pregnant women, children, athletes, elders
• The role of a whole-foods plant-based in cardiac disease prevention and reversal
• Vegan desserts and sweets
• Understanding emotional eating and food addiction
• Plant-based diet for heart disease prevention and reversal
• Ayurvedic principles, raw food, juicing and detox programs
• Working with mixed and transitional families
• Vegan fashion and beauty
• Fundamentals of animal rights
• The environmental ramifications of animal agriculture
• Social networking for Vegan Lifestyle Coaches and Educators
• Coaching techniques
• Public speaking and media training
• Presenting a food demo
• Customizing your practice, branding, and marketing for success
These renowned men and women from all sectors of the vegan movement comprise our board of advisors:
- Carol J. Adams, author of The Sexual Politics of Meat and Living Among Meateaters
- Ryan Andrews, MS/MA, RD, CSCS, author of Drop the Fat Act and Live Lean
- Jonathan Balcombe, Ph.D, animal behaviorist and author Second Nature and The Exultant Ark
- Gene Baur, co-founder, Farm Sanctuary and author, Farm Sanctuary: Changing Minds About Animals & Food
- Freya Dinshah, president and co-founder, The American Vegan Society, author of The Vegan Kitchen
- Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart, founder and designer, Vaute Couture, vegan outerwear
- John Pierre, fitness trainer to Ellen Degeneres and Portia de Rossi
- John Robbins, author of Diet for a New America and Healthy at 100, founder of EarthSave
- Brian Wendel, creator and executive producer, Forks Over Knives
Core Faculty: You’ll be learning from skilled vegan educators in addition to myself. Core faculty members teach at most Academy sessions except when their schedule takes them away.
- Fran Costigan, noted vegan baker and author of Vegan Chocolate; www.FranCostigan.com, with “The Art of the Food Demo” and “The Sweets Dilemma”
- Marty Davey, MS, RD, LDN, “La Diva Dietitian!” (and a trained actor so her nutrition classes are fun as well as instructive), teaching “Vegan Nutrition 101″ and “Nutrition’s Greatest Hits: Eating Well Througout the Life Cycle”
- Michael Parrish DuDell — Our marketing instructor is a media/business speaker/consultant, instrumental in the development of EcoRazzi.com, and author of Shark Tank Jump Start Your Business, the official business book of the hit ABC show, www.michaelparrishdudell.com
- Jennifer Gannet, JD, VLCE, VegBooks.org, resource for parents & educators to support the veg kids in their lives, on working with mixed and transitional families
- Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart, founder and designer of Vaute, vegan winter coats and designer fashions, on vegan fashion and vegan business
- Joshua Katcher, founder of TheDiserningBrute.com and designer for BraveGentleMan, with a stunning presentation on animal use in fashion and their alternatives, as well as how “aesthetic law” trains consumers to unwittingly overlook underlying cruelty
- Victoria Moran, HHC, AADP, VLCE, author of Main Street Vegan, The Love-Powered Diet, and Creating a Charmed Life and founder/director of Main St. Vegan Academy, teaching Public Speaking, Elements of Ayurveda, History of the Vegetarian/Vegan Movement, The MEND Program for Transformative Coaching, and Working with the Overweight and/or Food-Addicted Client
- Robert Notter, HHC, AADP, the “coach’s coach,” BookClientsNow.com
- Robert Ostfeld, M.D., MSc., FACC, director, Cardiac Wellness Program, associate professor of clinical medicine, Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY
- Sharon Nazarian, VLCE, Manhattan-based vegan blogger and co-founder of BigCityVegan.com, on social networking
- Jasmin Singer, activist, writer, performer, and Dr. Oz-featured co-founder of OurHenHouse.org, a media-media hive to make a difference for animals, teaching Animal Rights
- Mariann Sullivan, JD, co-founder of OurHenHouse.org, professor of animal law at NYU, Columbia, and Cordozo law schools, focusing on Animal Law
Adjunct faculty: Adjunct faculty members, several of whom are not based in New York, teach on a rotating and as-available basis.
- Nava Atlas, renowned vegetarian/vegan cookbook author with titles including Vegan Holiday Kitchen and Wild About Greens
- DrMaryMD (Mary Clifton, MD), Minnesota-based internist and diabetes specialist, co-director of Get Waisted
- Michael Greger, MD, Director for Public Health and Animal Agriculture, Humane Society of the United States, Washington, DC
- JL Fields, VLCE, Colorado Springs, blogger, corporate wellness coach, co-author of Vegan for Her
- Gary Gibson, HHC, AADP, VLCE, certified personal trainer and director of The Vegan Effect
- Jaime Karpovich, VLCE, recipe creator and TV personality, www.SavetheKales.com
- Nora Kramer, Dallas-based founder and director of YEA Camp and campaign coordinator for Mercy for Animals, teaching techniques of effective communication
- Adair Moran, lifelong vegan, blogger, co-writer of Main Street Vegan, on growing up vegan, urban gardening, and wildlife rehab
- Karen Ranzi, raw food expert and author of Creating Healthy Children
- Dino Sarma, chef at Sacred Chow, NYC, author of Alternative Vegan, www.altveg.blogspot.com, with his popular “Ask the Chef” program
- Dianne Wenz, HHC, AADP, VLCE, www.veggiegirl.com
Where does the course take place?
Main Street Vegan® Academy is live and in person in New York City. This is not just a course; it’s an experience you’ll remember all your life. In NYC you’ll be introduced to, and taught by, some of the most influential people in the modern vegan movement, and you’ll learn alongside fellow MSVA students who will likely become your lifelong friends and business contacts. By coming here you’ll see the future of veganism: a city teeming with vegan restaurants, shops, events and more. Our field trips to restaurants, boutiques, and other vegan businesses make the MSVA program a unique and life-changing urban study/vacation, whether you live in the Northeastern U.S. or come from afar.
What kinds of people apply for this program?
Women and men from all walks of life — and, so far, eight different countries — are part of the Main Street Vegan Academy family. All it takes is a commitment to the vegan lifestyle, and the flexibility, open-mindedness, and willingness to undergo a morning-to-evening 5-day intensive immersion program that covers every aspect of vegan philosophy and practice. Participants have included men and women from the medical and allied health professions, business people, yoga instructors, culinary professionals, teachers, personal trainers, students, stay-at-home moms, and more. Our graduates are engaged in private coaching and corporate wellness programs, writing books and articles, starting vegan-related businesses, lecturing, podcasting and media production, opening restaurants, and more.
How do I know if I’m qualified?
Someone prepared to study for Main Street Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator (VLCE) certification is eating a completely vegetarian diet now and is open to learning more about all aspects of vegan living. We welcome students motivated by ethics, health, the environment, world hunger, and every other reason for going vegan and know that when they leave here, they’ll have a fuller understanding of all these motivations.
For success as a VLCE, adjectives that describe you might be committed, passionate, dedicated, persevering, and irrepressible. For success at the Academy, with our long days of classes and 5.5 days spent in close proximity with people you didn’t know before, we’re looking for students whom others would describe as mature (regardless of age), flexible, independent, openminded, helpful, and easygoing. Prior to acceptance, we review each application, contact the references given, and conduct a phone interview with the applicant. A modest reading list is then sent out and we do expect each participant to have read the books on the list prior to the start of his/her session.
We are, of course, an Equal Opportunity program, welcoming students without regard to race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, politics, or sexual orientation; we also welcome those favoring any of the various vegan dietary choices. In the breakfasts and lunches we share together onsite, we eliminate all foods to which any student is genuinely allergic or which is medically contraindicated for him or her. However, because a single course might include students who choose to eat mostly raw food, and those maintain a very low-fat diet, and others who follow macrobiotic principles, we obviously cannot perfectly accommodate all these preferences at every meal, and we ask for some flexibility there. Outside food is not permitted on the premises.
How much is tuition?
The program investment is $1595 per student. Once you have been accepted into the Academy, a $395 nonrefundable deposit is required within 30 days to hold your place in class. You must pay the remaining $1200 within 30 days of the start of class. If you opt to pay full tuition upfront, you’ll receive a $100 discount ($1495 instead of $1595).
Either full tuition or the deposit must be received within one month of your acceptance in order for your place in class to be held for you. You may pay by MasterCard, Visa, American Express or Discover (call our private box, 212-289-1808, with card number, expiration date, and secuirty code); PayPal (remit to firstname.lastname@example.org), or check payable to Main Street Vegan, and sent by mail to Victoria Moran, MSVA, 40 W. 116th St., #A-504, New York, NY 10026.
The deposit is nonrefundable. If a true emergency (personal illness, death in the family, natural disaster, etc.) should keep you from attending the program, the deposit is transferable to a later course. If you’ve paid in full and an emergency arises, you’ll receive a refund of all but $395, which can be applied to a later course. Full tuition is due within 30 days of your course or you risk losing your deposit and having your space go to someone on the waiting list.
What does my tuition include?
During the course period, you’ll receive:
- All classes: over 50 hours of small group instruction and experiential learning with Victoria Moran and other expert faculty members and guest lecturers
- Field trips to NYC vegan businesses and attractions
- Personal access to faculty and guest presenters, some of the most sought-after experts on vegan living in the U.S. today
- A welcome dinner, three lunches, breakfasts four mornings (all meals are strictly vegan, gluten-free, planned to accommodate any allergies of participants of that program, and organic wherever possible); plus snacks, teas, and Mountain Valley Spring Water throughout the week
- Professional certification as a Main Street Vegan® Lifestyle Coach and Educator (VLCE), prepared to coach individuals and groups on their vegan journey
- 5.5 days with Victoria Moran, celebrated author, speaker, educator, radio host, Holistic Health Counselor, Vegan Lifestyle Coach & Educator, and Vegan of the Year 2012. This is a boutique experience in a small-group setting. Victoria will be teaching daily and available throughout the program to answer your questions personally. Your relationship with her, the other luminaries that comprise the MSVA faculty, and with your classmates and alumni of other classes can last a lifetime.
And after graduation, you’ll receive:
- An email compilation of course handouts from Victoria Moran and PowerPoint packs from some of the other instructors
- Master teleclasses offered free of charge to graduates, and the opportunity to teach a teleclass to sharpen your skills, share your expertise, and introduce yourself to alumni from classes other than your own
- Access to the private Main Street Vegan Alumni forum on Facebook
- The MSVA Master List with contact information for your fellow VLCEs, a strong support network of Vegan Lifestyle Coaches & Educators from across North America and around the world, including noted bloggers, chefs, personal trainers, image consultants, recipe creators, web designers, and others who can offer you their advice and support
- The opportunity to be a featured poster on the Main Street Vegan blog, a way to share your content with a wide audience and introduce that audience to you, your website, and your business
- Additional private coaching/instruction with Victoria at a reduced rate; and special parties and networking events on the Main Street Vegan & Health Cruise, February 2015
- The cache of being a Main Street Vegan-certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator. Our program is known throughout the plant-based community and the animal rights world as offering the highest quality instruction and ongoing continuing education, making this a true certification program in the strictest academic sense
- Private alumni-only mailings that include leads to possible work and exposure opportunities, as well as informal alumni reunions that take place in New York City and around the country
- The chance to contribute to The Main Street Vegan Academy Cookbook, which we’ll begin developing in the fall/winter of 2014 and which will be published by a major publisher. Your original recipe(s) will be featured along with your website, enhancing your reputation and furthering your reach.
What other costs will I incur?
You are responsible for your own travel costs and trip insurance, accommodations, and meals out, as well as transportation in NYC (the most economical way to get around is to purchase a 7-day MetroCard in any subway station, good on all subways and buses), and any shopping you wish to do on field trips. (You are not expected to purchase anything, although most students take advantage of the field trips and “stock up” on vegan shoes, belts, cosmetics, specialty food items, and gifts; several each term even buy their winter coat at Vaute Couture!). Meals at the restaurants where we’ll go as a group can run under $20; you’re required to purchase only one restaurant meal, a lunch on our heavy field-trip day. The meals you’ll enjoy on-site — all vegan, organic, high-raw, low-oil, low-sugar, and gluten-free — are available at no charge; you’ll be Victoria’s guest.
If you are on a budget, recommendations for lower-cost accommodations are available upon request. The most convenient places to stay are on Manhattan’s Upper West Side or in South Harlem, although staying anywhere in Manhattan or close-in Brooklyn works, as well. If you plan to stay with a friend or relative in one of the outer boroughs, or even a part of Manhattan with which you may be unfamiliar, please go to HopStop, put in their address and ours (40 W. 116th St., Manhattan) to determine the timing of your commute. We do start quite early most mornings.
Important note: This course is designed to help you guide others to transition to and thrive with the vegan lifestyle. While you will receive several hours of health and nutrition training, you will not be a nutritionist. Being a certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach & Educator does NOT qualify you to provide medical advice or treat any illness. Any person looking to undergo a major change in diet should consult a physician. This is also not a culinary program: your expertise upon completion of this course will be to teach, guide, and counsel individuals and groups about vegan eating and living. Ours is a professional certification program for committed vegans to learn to teach and counsel others and take their outreach to the next level. It is not a how-to-go-vegan course for beginners. If you’re looking for this kind of help, check out the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart, free and online, from Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine.
Upcoming course dates:
- May 23-28, 2014 (over Memorial Day weekend — starts with dinner May 23, ends midday on the 28th) - full
- August 5-10, 2014 (starts with dinner August 5, ends midday on the 10th)
- November 4-9, 2014 (starts with dinner November 4, ends midday on the 9th)
- March 24-29, 2015 (starts with dinner March 24, ends midday on the 29th)
- May 20-25, 2015 (over Memorial Day weekend — starts with dinner May 20, ends midday on the 25th)
- July 14-19, 2015 (starts with dinner July 14, ends midday on the 19th)
- September 4-9 2015 (over Labor Day weekend — starts with dinner September 22, ends midday on the 27th)
- November 3-8, 2015 (starts with dinner November 3, ends midday on the 8th)
For consideration as a student in an upcoming Main Street Vegan Academy course, Download Application. Then:
- Fill out the form , scan and email to Victoria Moran: email@example.com. Alternatively, mail the completed application to Victoria Moran, MSVA, 40 W. 116 St., Ste. A-504, New York, NY 10026. We will get back to you within 14 days to let you know of your acceptance.
- Please apply only if you are serious about attending the program and if you have the means to cover your tuition.
- Full tuition or a $395 nonrefundable deposit to hold your spot must be received within 30 days of your acceptance or we cannot guarantee your place in class.
- If you opt to hold your space with a nonrefundable deposit, the balance of tuition is due within 30 days of the start of your course.
What Graduates Have to Say About Main Street Vegan Academy
* * *
Check out blog post from Sayward Rebhal, VLCE, “Main Street Vegan Academy Will Change Your Life,” on the OurHenHouse.org site
And read this piece in ChicVegan.com from graduate Robin Patalon, VLCE, “A Walk Down Main Street”
* * *
“No words can describe the positive and life changing experience I had at MSVA! Thank you again for helping me on the path that I feel so passionate about!” – Stacy Morris, VLCE, Long Island, NY
“Victoria Moran creates a life-changing and revelatory experience for her students at Main Street Vegan Academy. The wealth of knowledge, passion, kindness and insight that Moran and her team of guest instructors bring to the course is nothing short of genius. My only complaint: having to leave when it was over. - Colette Rice, VLCE, Sacramento, CA
“I just wanted to let you know how grateful I am for being a part of such an amazing course. I have learned and grown so much in such a short period of time and I will be role modeling and transferring my knowledge to as many people as I possibly can during my travels and throughout the rest of my life.” – Louella Monaghan, VLCE, Perth, Western Australia
“I could not have imagined a better experience. Learning from Victoria Moran, hanging out with vegans aspiring to be of assistance to others, being back in the greatest city in the world, was exactly as fulfilling as I’d hoped it would be. At the risk of sounding trite, my biggest disappointment was that my class of the Main Street Vegan Academy had to come to an end.” – The Rev. Russell K. Elleven, EdD, DMin, LPC, NCC, CFLE, VLCE, Chicago, IL
“Victoria’s compassion for both animal beings and her clients infuses her instruction with an essence of understanding which enables MSVA graduates, to emerge after a short, productive week, as instruments of powerful change. The success of my early clients is a testament to the main Street Vegan Academy.” — Nina Hayes, VLCE, Boston, MA
“I have picked up 3 clients for Vegan Lifestyle Coaching since graduating from MSVA last month & I absolutely love every second of it! I wanted to thank you for equipping me with so many great tools & resources for this endeavor. Hearing the past graduates’ stories & learning how they set up their business was extremely helpful as well.” — Cortney Ostrosky, VLCE, Charleston, SC
“I can’t fully express my gratitude to Victoria Moran for Main Street Vegan Academy! The class was an incredible experience. Not only did Victoria impart her knowledge to us, but she put together the most amazing line up of guest speakers. Spending time with so many like-minded people was extremely inspiring and this course was exactly what I needed to jump-start my vegan counseling business.” Dianne Wenz, CHHC, AADP, VLCE, West Orange, NJ
“I feel privileged to have been a part of such amazing love-filled group and a truly extraordinary vegan coaching program. Priceless!” Nadia No, MFT, VLCE, San Francisco, CA
“Wow! Victoria knows all the right stuff and the right people. Even the most knowledgeable vegan business person has something to gain from this course.” — Tiffany Hahner, RN, VLCE, Kansas City, MO
“Enrolling in MSVA was my logical next step as a vegan blogger (jlgoesvegan.com), writer and activist. My intention was not to become a vegan lifestyle coach but rather to be a better advocate and educator on how to live a compassionate life. I found the course enlightening and empowering and, it turns out, I now feel emboldened to begin a vegan lifestyle coaching practice.” – JL Fields , VLCE, Colorado Springs, CO
“Main Street Vegan Academy will forever be a pivotal experience in my vegan journey. Having the opportunity to learn such a well-rounded arc of information and knowledge, has motivated and furthered my commitment to help others attain levels of health, happiness and purpose that the vegan lifestyle provides.” — Avital Weiss, VLCE, New York City
“Blend professionalism with the generosity of a seasoned and delightful hostess. The result? Victoria Moran’s Main Street Vegan Academy. This terrific 5-day course in NYC includes draws on veg-savvy experts who help, guide, and encourage participants to find their own pace to make veganism work best for them, for their clients, and the world. This course is an original – and worth every bit of the time and money you spend.” — Carol Schneider, VLCE, Boca Raton, FL
“As someone new to the Vegan lifestyle, I thought I’d be in over my head but no worries! This comprehensive course gave me the knowledge and skills I need to take this to the next level. I’ve never enjoyed learning so much or meeting such inspiring, amazing contacts and friends. I’m truly grateful for the experience.” – Lynne Agnew, VLCE, Endicott, NY