Two powerful gentlemen grace today’s program: cardiologist Robert Ostfeld, MD, and newly retired pro wrestler and author, Austin Aries.
Dr. Robert Ostfeld wants to make his own profession irrelevant by spreading knowledge of the preventive and healing power of plant-based eating throughout the medical community, starting with his growing and thrilling Cardiac Wellness Program at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx. Montefiore is one of the few hospitals anywhere that has:
- Plant-based meal options in the cafeteria every single day
- Meatless Mondays every week
- Plant-based options for inpatients
- The health documentary Forks Over Knives available on the TVs in patient rooms
And coming up October 27 is the Inaugural Preventative Cardiology Conference to take place at Montefiore. This is a one-day conference for physicians, other health professionals, and lay people, featuring:
- Neal Barnard, MD
- Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr., MD
- Kim Williams, MD, immediate past president, American College of Cardiology
- Paul Ritger, MD, director of the Center for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, with groundbreaking information on the role of inflammation in heart disease, being presented for the first time in North America
- Michelle McMacken, MD
- Joel Kahn, MD
If you’re in the New York City area, or able to get here, this is a day not to be missed. To sign up, go to:
www.mecme.org and scroll down to October 27 to find the Preventive Cardiology Conference;
or call 718-920-6674 to claim your seat.
♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣
Austin Aries returns to the program for the first time since his retirement this summer as a World Wrestling Entertainment star — and I’m pretty sure he’s my only guest who has his own action figure! The champion pro wrestler left the ring at his peak to focus on another passion: plant-based lifestyle advocacy. To that end, he has a new book out, Food Fight: My Plant-Powered Journey from the Bingo Halls to the Bigtime, a memoir and plant-based how-to.
Book: Food Fight
♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣
I opened the program sharing that Main Street Vegan, my book that started so much, is nominated in the “Best Book” category of the 2017 “Best of Vegan” contest sponsored by Unicorn Goods. If you feel like voting, I’d be most grateful: www.unicorngoods.com/vote
♣ ♣ ♣ ♣ ♣
Blast from the past! Both of today’s esteemed guests have appeared on the program before. The previous episode featuring Dr. Ostfeld (and Miyoko Schinner of Miyoko’s Kitchen — heavenly cheeses!) is http://www.unity.fm/episode/MainStreetVegan_100114
And when Austin Aries was with us before, back in April of 2014, we talked for the full hour: http://www.unity.fm/episode/MainStreetVegan_041614